Summary of Cover:
This type of cover is available in conjunction with our prospective foal policy. It provides an indemnity for clients if:
- the mare insured is not in foal as at the 1st October
- the foal in utero on the policy is not alive at the expiry of the policy
- the mare insured has a multiple pregnancy
What are the key conditions you should know?
No claim shall be payable under this extension unless and until a written Veterinary Surgeon’s report has been received and accepted by MS Amlin certifying visual inspection by the Veterinary Surgeon of
- the recently aborted foetus and evidence of a named mare having recently aborted,
- the delivery of a dead foal by a named mare,
- the death during the period of insurance of a specified live born foal,
- an autopsy examination of a named mare revealing the existence of an unborn foal.
- examination of a named mare revealing her to be barren/empty at 1st October or subsequently during the policy term
This insurance cover does provide cover for multiple
pregnancyunlike the Prospective Foal only cover.
It is a condition precedent to liability that MS Amlin
- an autopsy examination of a named mare revealing the existence of an unborn foal
- confirmation that the mare has been covered in three separate oestrus cycles unless confirmed in foal at or after 42 days to an earlier covering.
- There are no visible abnormalities of the mare’s genital organs
- A mare insured under this extension must be fully vaccinated with a licensed vaccine containing Equine Herpes Virus 1 (EHV-1) and Equine Herpes Virus 4 (EHV-4) according to the manufacturer’s licenced recommendations where the insured is not the owner of the mare this warranty is replaced by an onus to use
a bestendeavour to ensure that the mare is vaccinated
- IgG levels are to be tested within 24 hours after
birthof the foal and plasma must be available for transfusion as required
- Prior to
inceptionof this policythe mare insured hereunder shall not have been covered in the breeding season for which insurance is in force
- In the event that service by the stallion is refused for any
reasonthis policy shall be null and void
- Substitute mares nominated are not insured hereunder
- In the event of the payment by MS Amlin of a claim hereunder, MS Amlin shall, if they so elect, take undisputed ownership of any interest in the residual foetus or foal(s) as applicable
- The Insured must take all reasonable measures to ensure that the mare has every opportunity to achieve and maintain a pregnancy. The Insured shall use all due diligence and do and concur in doing all things reasonably practicable to avoid or diminish any loss hereunder
What isn't covered?
- Death, intentional slaughter or humane destruction from a disease if the horse is subject to a government or public or local authority quarantine and or restriction order in relation to an outbreak or suspected outbreak of that disease
- Death or humane destruction from surgical operation or administration of any medication unless by a veterinary surgeon
- Wilful injury or intentional acts or omissions by the insured or other persons who have care, custody or control of the horse
- Failure by the insured of other persons there of who have care or control of the horse to provide proper care and attention
- Avian influenza or mutation of:
- Death or humane destruction that takes place outside the geographical limits stated in the certificate
- Incorrect use
- Humane destruction on economic grounds
- Public liability for property damage or injury arising from ownership or use of the horse