Our risk management framework helps us to identify, assess and manage all of the key internal and external risks for achieving our plans and objectives.
This framework has four key elements:
- Governance from Boards, risk committees and the accountability of management
- Risk policy and clarity of risk appetite and tolerances
- Risk identification and assessment
- Reporting processes to drive action and enhancement
Our Risk function is responsible for ensuring that the risk framework is operating to address the requirements of MS Amlin to manage all the threats to business performance. We also encourage the active involvement of all of our employees in being risk managers.
We operate risk management controls through the “three lines of defence” model.
- In the first line all employees are expected to be risk aware and exercise controls over their activities so that levels of risk are understood and managed appropriately.
- The second line of defence is our dedicated Risk function which is responsible for the design and coordination of risk framework activity. The Compliance function is responsible for a similar second-line role in relation to regulatory risk.
- The third line of defence is our Internal Audit function. The objective of the Internal Audit function is to assist the Board and Executive Management to protect the assets, reputation and sustainability of MS Amlin through the provision of an independent appraisal of the adequacy and effectiveness of governance, risk management and the internal control framework. The Internal Audit Charter formally documents the function's purposes and roles within the organisation - for more information on our Internal Audit charter, please email the Internal Audit team